Warning Signs You May be Becoming or Already are a Victim of Violence
- You have been shoved, hit, kicked or had objects thrown at you when he was angry.
2. Walking On Eggshells
- You feel as though you have to “walk on eggshells” in order to avoid making him angry. You never quite know what will upset him.
- You stop seeing your friends and family because he does not like them and does not want you to spend time with them.
- You give up social activities you enjoy because he does not like them and does not want you to go out without him.
4. Controlling Behaviour
- You stop expressing your opinions because he does not agree with you or you are afraid to hurt his feelings.
- You have to ask permission to do something you ordinarily would do.
- You believe his jealousy is a sign of love and not a way to control you.
- You start to feel like you are his possession and that you cannot spend time with other people without making him angry or jealous.
6. Self – Blaming/ Taking Responsibilty
- You start to believe that all problems in the relationship are your fault.
- You start to believe that you have caused his anger and begin to blame yourself for his aggression.
- You start to believe the negative and critical things he says to make you feel bad about yourself.
- You start to believe you cannot live without him and make it on your own.
- You start to believe that no other man could, or would, ever love you.
8. Unrealistic Expectations
- You feel as though you have to be the perfect partner and meet his every need.
9. Threatening Behaviour
- You are beginning to fear for your safety. You are starting to believe that his threats of violence are real.